Re: Choosing recipient of automatic replies

2002-06-03 12:18:58

Keith Moore wrote:

even now I'm not sure that list-specific fields solve those problems,

part of the problem is probably (as you said) that the subtle
differences between return-path, from, reply-to, and sender

IMO, the whole construct is wrong. While the headers were appropriate for
the time and place of their design, the modern usage has gone to another
place which is not particularly well suited to the design. For example,
From vs Sender is a good model if From doesn't have connectivity, but in
the modern age, From is just another way for spammers to lie.

From vs. Sender is as valid as it ever was.  My boss is constantly
asking other people (his secretaries and other employees) to send
out messages on his behalf.  That's exactly the case for which the
From vs. Sender distinction was intended - the problem is just that
that this isn't widely understood.

I know this is OT, but I wanted to make the argument that the canonical
problem is that the legacy model is not reflective of modern usages.

well, neither is the model you've proposed.

Keith