Re: Sieve

2002-06-04 13:33:13

That's precisely the reason that the MAIL FROM address is exposed in the
message header as return-path - so the address can be used for automatic
system.

Ah, this is new in RFC 2821.

Actually, a slightly weaker form of this requirement is present in RFC 1123.
Section 5.2.8 says, in part:

         When the receiver-SMTP makes "final delivery" of a message,
         then it MUST pass the MAIL FROM: address from the SMTP envelope
         with the message, for use if an error notification message must
         be sent later ...

and then:

         IMPLEMENTATION:
              The MAIL FROM: information may be passed as a parameter or
              in a Return-Path: line inserted at the beginning of the
              message.

RFC 2821 makes it explicit that this has to be done with a return-path field;
an improvement IMO.

Nice, however it doesn't seem to be implemented widely.

Hmm. My impression has been the exact opposite. Specifically, I know that PMDF
and iMS (MTAs I've worked on) add such a field, and I believe sendmail, qmail,
MMDF, PP, exim, and even Exchange do so as well.

                                Ned