Re: I-D on automatic responses

2002-06-04 21:26:01

Eric A Hall <ehall(_at_)ehsco(_dot_)com> writes:

Unless I missed them:

  no autoreplies to owner-* or *-request

  maintain db of respondents, recommended minimum of once per week

Which type of autoreplies?

For example, my mail system currently sends some autoreplies which are
essentially bounces, but which aren't formatted as bounces because bounces
confuse the user.  There are role addresses that we've retired in favor of
a ticket tracking system, and the user is told to instead submit their
problem to that system.

I believe that those autoreplies should be sent in response to every
message sent to them, not just once a week.  (Whether or not they should
go to owner-* or *-request is an iffier question.)

I'm following this discussion with interest as currently they're going to
From/Reply-To because that's been more reliable in actually reaching the
sender, but I'm pretty much convinced they should actually go to envelope
sender.

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>