Re: I-D on automatic responses

2002-06-05 17:58:14

Eric A Hall <ehall(_at_)ehsco(_dot_)com> writes:

Original-Recipient, at least. (I know you said that you think VERP is
required for this, but the common usage is already there, and at least
some systems conform to it).

I've never understood the use of this field.  Could you explain more about
how you think this would be helpful to include?

Original-Message-ID would also be particularly useful if the generic
notifications were used for things like virus notifications.

Virus notifications are a class of autoresponse that I think should be
full-blown multipart/report; I agree with you there.

I'm thinking more in terms of a typical use for an autoreply (at least in
my experience), something like "thank you for your message, we're really
busy, we'll write back to you in 2147" or "here's a ticket tracking number
for your message; no one here will have any idea what you're talking about
if you refer to it in your later e-mail, but they make great sock
warmers."

I would also expect that specific applications would want to tailor
their own, as we already have with DSNs and MDNs. Vacation and virus
notifications would be obvious candidates.

I agree on virus notifications, at least, yes.  I can see an argument for
vacation messages maybe if we can convince MUA authors to actually do
something reasonable with structured content, but so far it seems like
we've mostly failed on that battle with DSNs.  :/

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>