Re: [fwd] Last Call: Critical Content MIME Parameter to Proposed Standard

2002-06-13 05:23:12

In this particular case we already have content-disposition in use in both
places. Given this I think there are greater risks with trying to maintain
separate but overlapping parameters attached to the same basic mechanism than
there are with trying to cleanly define a single parameter that spans
both.

To me the real challenges are these:

- to discourage people from lifting a protocol extension from one protocol
  and placing it in another without adequate regard for the differences
  in use cases between the two protocols

- to get people to understand that an extension named X in protocol A isn't
  necessarily the same as a similar extension named X in protocol B -
  the semantics may be slightly different, they may evolve in different ways,
  different options and use cases may apply

I'm thinking of writing Yet Another I-D titled something like:
Internet Mail, News, HTTP, and SIP are Not The Same Protocol

Keith