RFC2231 encoding in parameters.

2002-11-15 22:23:42
Tonight, somebody posted a patch for the Exmh MUA, described as follows:

This patch for mime.tcl attempts to separate the header decoding from
the header display, so that Mime_SavePiece can use the decode routines
to handle stuff like:

It is not perfect yet because the character set specification is
silently ignored.

I voted against the patch on the grounds that RFC2231 specifies a different
syntax, and said a 2231-style patch would be encouraged.  But it still
left me with a queasy feeling on two points:

1) Are any MUAs "in the wild" currently actually using the 2047-style encoding
in parameters rather than the 2231 syntax?  If so, who are they, and who wants
to send the authors a note? ;)

2) RFC2183 assumes that a "filename" parameter is us-ascii, since RFC2045
didn't define an extension.  RFC2231 added the syntax, making it legal to
specify a charset/language for a filename.  However, I admit being totally
befuddled regarding the *semantics* of such a specification.  On many
filesystems, the charset/lang don't matter, as long as the octets are
decoded to the originally intended binary stream.  However, it's not
obvious what to do if, for instance, your system is UTF-8 or one of the
systems that has multiple IBM-nnn codepage locals, and the header shows up
as iso-2022-jp.  Should the MUA attempt conversion, or leave it as an octet
stream?

Converting works better at the user-visible level - if the sender wanted
kanji in the filename, then a case can be made that converting to a
representation that displays the kanji (although at a different codepoint)
would benefit the user.  On the other hand, it will totally hose any
automated 'manifest checkers' that go looking for a specific filename.

I'm sure there's other issues I've missed here...

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer