Re: prevervation of installed base

2003-01-13 05:12:31

In <3E2022E4(_dot_)9030301(_at_)Sonietta(_dot_)blilly(_dot_)com> Bruce Lilly
<blilly(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> writes:

Charles Lindsey wrote:

The question is whether that situation is acceptable in a transitional
phase,

You're talking about gateways to email -- what "transitional phase" -- what
are you assuming will change in the email protocols?

No, I am talking primarily about gateways *from* news. I assume nothing
about changes in the email protocols. I am speaking of transitional
arrangements arising from changes in the news protocols. These are
carefully discussed in the Usefor draft, and the principle conclusion
there is that user agents will need to upgrade if they expect to see the
benefit of the new functionalities (transports are largely unaffected).

Insofar as some user agents will live on the far side of
news->mailing-list gateways, it is the gateways that will need to upgrade,
again only if they care about the new functionalities.

Email: chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5
Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.