Re: prevervation of installed base

2003-01-10 01:43:22

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 10:43:52PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

Andrew Gierth <andrew(_at_)erlenstar(_dot_)demon(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> writes:

the most important technical difference (as I personally see it - my
opinions may differ from others involved in USEFOR) is that gateways for
individual groups or hierarchies do not have to contend with the use of
non-ASCII _newsgroup names_ unless they specifically choose to do
so. (In such cases there is generally no particular need to preserve the
Newsgroups header accurately in the case of crossposts to groups not
handled by the same gateway; furthermore, if the gateway is implemented
via the moderation mechanism, this becomes a non-issue anyway).

I agree that there is probably not many general news-mail gateways
around, but there are a lot of specific mail-news/news-mail gateways,
and many of them involve constituencies where non-ascii newsgroup names
may become relevant. The new USEFOR scheme should cater for standard
gatewaying for all these individual cases.

Kind regards
Keld