Re: prevervation of installed base

2003-01-16 16:00:18

In <3E25627E(_dot_)3050508(_at_)Sonietta(_dot_)blilly(_dot_)com> Bruce Lilly
<blilly(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> writes:

Charles Lindsey wrote:

The question is whether that situation is acceptable in a transitional
phase,

You're talking about gateways to email -- what "transitional phase" -- what
are you assuming will change in the email protocols?

I am talking about gateways _from_ news. It is proposed (that is what we
are discussing) that Netnews should change. That requires that gateways
should, at some stage, change. Hence it follows that there will be a
transitional phase.

I am therefore assuming that the Netnews protocols will change. I am _not_
assuming that the email protocols will change.

I repeat. The question is whether the situation during the transitional
phase is acceptable, or not. The worst that seems likely to happen is that
some gobbledegook will be seen (and please bear in mind that much
gobbledegook is already seen at present).

Email: chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5
Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.