Re: RFC 2047 and gatewaying

2003-01-15 10:12:27

In <138136228145(_dot_)20030114085738(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com> Dave Crocker
<dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com> writes:

The issue is not whether there is an existence proof for the practise you
want to standardize.  The issue is, instead, the impact of a new standard on
the installed base that uses the old standard.

The primary impact will be on the installed base within Usenet. That is an
issue for the Usefor WG to consider, and it has concluded that the impact
is manageable.

The impact on the installed email base is important, but secondary. We
propose to tackle it by specifying rather strongly what must happen at the
interface. There will be some impact, but we believe it is manageable.

The important difference between Usenet and Email is that Usenet is a
Social thing, within which a certain degree of failed interoperability can
be (and often is) tolerated. We realise that email operates under much
tighter constraints, but we are talking here of the little bit of Usenet
that escapes into email and which, from a social point of view, is really
just an extension of Usenet itself.

Email: chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5
Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.