Re: For shame (Was: Re: RFC 2047 and gatewaying)

2003-01-15 23:23:06

"Bruce" == Bruce Lilly <blilly(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> writes:

Henry Spencer wrote:
non-ASCII newsgroup names are already in substantial use.

 Bruce> Really?

to the best of my knowledge, actual use of non-ASCII newsgroup names
is largely confined at present to non-Usenet uses (i.e. private
servers or private subnets). This does mean that there are probably no
good ways to get statistics on how widespread this usage is, since I
can't just dredge relevent statistics out of the raw newsfeed the way
I've done for other issues.  (However, the importance of non-Usenet use
of NNTP and the Netnews format should not be underestimated.)

All the actual usage of non-ASCII names that I've encountered on such
servers has been in the form of untagged usage of the local 8-bit
charset.

--
Andrew.