Re: Transformation of Non-ASCII headers

2003-02-03 14:45:21

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Bruce Lilly wrote:
...So the MIME standards do
not currently apply to Netnews (but our draft will fix that).

Incorrect; RFC 1036 specifically mentions that news articles use the
text message format defined in RFC 822, and RFC 2047 explicitly revises
the RFC 822 ABNF...

However, RFC 1036 refers specifically and explicitly to RFC 822, *not* to
"RFC 822 or any update thereof".  RFC 2047, like other post-822 updates to
mail standards, does not apply to news unless we make it so.

                                                          Henry Spencer

henry(_at_)spsystems(_dot_)net