Re: Transformation of Non-ASCII headers

2003-02-03 15:47:47

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Bruce Lilly wrote:
However, RFC 1036 refers specifically and explicitly to RFC 822, *not* to
"RFC 822 or any update thereof".  RFC 2047, like other post-822 updates to
mail standards, does not apply to news unless we make it so.

OK, guys, you heard Henry -- no more of that 4-digit year nonsense
in dates.
Yeah, right; everybody on Usenet is going to go back to 2-digit
years, just like it says in RFC 822.

We were talking about what the documents say, not about what is actually
being done on the net -- a gap that is particularly wide where non-ASCII
character sets are concerned.

Your claim, since you seem to have forgotten it, was that since RFC 1036
references RFC 822, MIME (an extension and amendment to 822) automatically
applies to news as well.  Whether it *should* apply to news, and whether
it is being used *as if* it does, are separate (although related) topics.

Since you have changed the subject, I assume you have conceded your error.

                                                          Henry Spencer

henry(_at_)spsystems(_dot_)net