Re: Transformation of Non-ASCII headers

2003-02-03 16:26:41

Henry Spencer wrote:

> However, RFC 1036 refers specifically and explicitly to RFC 822, *not* to
> "RFC 822 or any update thereof".  RFC 2047, like other post-822 updates to
> mail standards, does not apply to news unless we make it so.

OK, guys, you heard Henry -- no more of that 4-digit year nonsense
in dates.

Yeah, right; everybody on Usenet is going to go back to 2-digit
years, just like it says in RFC 822.

Er, exactly.

I'm sorry, but it has been long been understood that references can deemed to
track to subsequent revisions of a specification without explicit revision to
point to the newer version. This is the sort of situation where common sense
has to prevail. Trying to find and fix every RFC each time a document it refers
to is itselft revised would be a huge waste of time.

As such, there is a lot less to be read into the specific reference to RFC 822
in RFC 1036 than people seem to think.

                                Ned