Re: Unicode newsgroup name options

2003-02-22 15:46:09

kaih(_at_)khms(_dot_)westfalen(_dot_)de (Kai Henningsen) writes:

I also note that Dan Kohn's alternative News Article Format draft uses
punycode, which already includes a stringprep profile.

Some detective work finds draft-ietf-idn-nameprep-11.txt (that *is* the
current one, yes?). We obviously can't use a profile that says it must be
used together with extra restrictions specific to IDN, but otherwise it
seems that we could mostly just copy this one ... except shouldn't these
profiles be reusable?

Yes.  Using nameprep for usefor is a bad idea, but the contents of
nameprep can be copied, renamed, polished, and then, IMHO, it would
turn into a good idea.

It's hard to figure this out by looking at current registrations (as
recommended by the stringprep RFC, 2454) if there aren't any.

There are a few drafts with stringprep profile, here are links to
those I'm familiar with.  Note that most of them contain some minor
technical problems.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-nameprep-11.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-xmpp-nodeprep-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-xmpp-resourceprep-00.txt