Re: Unicode newsgroup name options

2003-02-21 13:58:36

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Russ Allbery wrote:
D J Bernstein <djb(_at_)cr(_dot_)yp(_dot_)to> writes:
Actually, there's very little opposition (especially among implementors)
to requiring all MTAs, MUAs, etc. to handle UTF-8 messages. Eventually
we will all be using UTF-8; all relevant bugs must be fixed. Only the
wildest ``7 bits forever!'' proponents, such as Keith Moore, disagree.

I disagree, in the very strongest terms, with both this categorization of
the situation and with the personal attack.

Many of us (especially implementors) believe that these short-term 7-bit
kludges have huge costs (as illustrated by your message) and miniscule
benefits. We believe that the 7-bit kludges should be dropped.

The definition of "many" and "we" is extremely subjective, particularly as
it is a minority opinion.

One additional option that I didn't mention would be to decide that the
IETF standards process is out of touch with the reality of what
implementors want

The people who advocate this option are those individuals who have not
been able to get their way.  I strongly suggest that you plug your ears
when you hear this siren song, lest you cause a disaster for yourself and
wreak havoc on others.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc