Re: Unicode newsgroup name options

2003-02-21 10:43:25

Andrew Gierth <andrew(_at_)erlenstar(_dot_)demon(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> writes:

but this proposal as it stands largely cripples the ability for
clients to do "LIST ACTIVE <wildmat>" unless _both_ the client and the
server are updated to support an extension for punycode-wildmats.
(i.e. without such an extension, the client can't do pattern matches
in ways that are meaningful in terms of the human-readable name, only
in terms of the encoded name)

I'd thought about this, but the degree of crippling didn't seem severe
enough to even mention.  Per-component wildmat patterns still work, and
within-component matches of ASCII groups continue to work, so this only
affects cases where the client is trying to use a wildmat to match a
portion of a non-ASCII name.

This is an extremely uncommon operation for a reader as I understand it,
even when there are non-ASCII groups.  Am I out of touch there?
Essentially all of the use of those sorts of wildmats that I'm aware of is
in transit servers.

How frequently do you see clients using wildmats other than *, the exact
name of a group, or component-wise?  I thought that most clients that
supported a newsgroup search feature did so by downloading the entire
active file and then doing their searches locally.

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>