Re: New Internet Draft: draft-duerst-archived-at-00.txt

2004-02-26 08:55:31

At 15:51 25/02/04 -0800, Bill McQuillan wrote:
What is the usefulness of a header field containing a URI which only
fetches another copy of the same message?

It is extraordinarily useful in group discussions by email, in which a participant creates messages with direct, easy-to-retrieve references to previous messages. While looking at one message, one can cut-and-paste the URI into another message under construction. It is especially useful when reading messages without a live Internet connection (*).

The alternative is to spend time online rummaging around in the mail archives to find the same message in archived form, which can be a pain, especially when the archives are not well organized.

Partly because of this feature, but also because of the way the archives are presented, I have found the W3C mailing lists service to be the most usable of any that I have experienced.

#g
--

(*) I sometimes think that there are protocol designers who take an always-on Internet connection for granted. One doesn't have to live in some desert region of the world to be reliant on dial-up for Internet access.

Graham Klyne
For email:
http://www.ninebynine.org/#Contact