Re: draft-moore-mail-nr-fields-00

2004-08-27 10:12:30

At 3:55 PM -0400 8/26/04, John C Klensin wrote:
unless it is really clear that there would be significant benefits.

I'm having trouble seeing significant benefits. What problem would this proposal solve? The justifications in the draft seem to me to be a little ... esoteric. I really wonder if defining new header fields and MTA behaviors is justified.

The primary desire is to reduce the number of messages some recipients receive. In order to accomplish this, the sender of a message puts some of those recipients in special header fields.

The situations given seem mostly to be about informing some folks that the discussion is going to continue amongst other folks, and that the folks of the first part needn't worry their pretty heads about the matter anymore.

This could be accomplished by simply forwarding a copy of the reply to the folks who need to be informed. Yeah, this is probably a tiny bit more work for the sender than putting their addresses in a separate field. But it's really not so hard and it doesn't require MUA's to add special support for generation.

I'd need to be made to understand many more benefits to this proposal before I'd consider adding support for it. I'd be surprised if other MUA authors didn't feel the same way.