Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-moore-mail-nr-fields-00.txt]

2004-09-14 19:12:31

In <ilud60qmf4i(_dot_)fsf(_at_)latte(_dot_)josefsson(_dot_)org> Simon Josefsson
<jas(_at_)extundo(_dot_)com> writes:

"Charles Lindsey" <chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> writes:

Speaking *generally*, the list-owner is in the best position to know the
culture, and that will affect how he fills in whatever header he chooses
to insert.

I disagree.  My view is that the originator is in the best position to
decide his or her own wishes for what should happen with the post.

Sure. If the originator has made his view clear by including MFT, or
whatever else we decide upon at the end of this debate, that that is that.
But if the originator is silent, then it is better for the list-owner to
decide what should be the "default" that best suits the culture of his
list.

The list owner should, ideally, be able to "help" members understand
the culture used on a specific list, but shouldn't impose it on list
members (by, for example, adding 'Reply-To: list(_at_)example(_dot_)org').
This
is especially important when messages are cross-posted to several
list, that may have different cultures.

I agree that "Reply-To" is far too blunt a tool to be added as default by
most list-owners but, at the moment, it is the only tool that we have got.

Mail-Copies-To is all right so far as it goes, but it only tackles some of
the problems. I think, on balance, I would prefer Mail-Followups-To.

We are in agreement here.

What appears to be necessary is a mechanism for less technically
oriented users to end up with a "correct" MFT setting.  Perhaps auto
populated by the MUA based on some, new, header added by mailing list
software.  OTOH, perhaps less technically oriented users doesn't care
about the problems that motivate use of MFT, so they don't need it
until they realize those problems.

The "less technically oriented" user, and especially a newbie who has just
joined the list, will do whatever his MUA defaults to. Agreed, an MUA that
understands MFT should keep a database of lists that the user has had
occasion to use, and should ask whether that user is subscribed when a new
list is encountered for the first time. It can then generate an
appropriate MFT header. That AIUI is how MFT is intended to operate.

But there is going to be a long transitional period during which such
smart MUAs are going to be rare, and so we need a system in which sensible
things will happen by default in the meantime.

Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave,
CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.