Re: optional space after header field colon

2004-09-14 19:12:29

In <20040913154813(_dot_)GA29249(_at_)trokan(_dot_)micronas(_dot_)com> Martin
Trautmann <traut(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de> writes:

Hi all,

is there any real rule whether to put an empty space between a field
name's colon and the field body?

It is a custom invariably followed (like I have never yet seen an email
message that did not include such a space). However it is strictly
speaking optional according to RFC 2822.

OTOH, in Netnews (RFC 1036 and also the Usefor drafts) that space is
REQUIRED (because just too much software breaks if it is omitted).

Therefore I shall be pressing, when next RFC 2822 comes up for revision,
for it to be required in mail also (but of course that is for generation -
it must still be accepted). IOW, header fields with that space should
become the norm and header fields without it should be moved to the
obs-syntax (which would have no effect in practice since all current MUAs
I am aware of already do it that way).

And certainly, if you want your email to be gated into News, then that
space had better be there.

Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave,
CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.