Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-14 19:12:28

In <20040913121324(_dot_)2416bc38(_dot_)moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:

Yes, but that is the exceptional case. Normally, what the sender asks for
should be what the sender gets. Ultimately, if the replier wants to do
something special, then he can do it, but that is not the commn case and
therefore it should not be what happens if the replier just presses one of
the buttons on offer. If the replier wants to do such special things, then
let him cut and paste.

I think you have it sort of backwards.  The exceptional case is
where the sender asks for something different than "reply all".  The
recipient's MUA should take pains to make the recipient aware that
the sender has requested a different kind of reply, while still giving
the recipient the ability to easily choose between what the sender
asked for, the normal "reply all" behavior, or something else.
And "cut and paste" is just too cumbersome.

No, that just illustrates the problem we are discussing. Approximately 50%
of users (or slightly less by my counting) are happy for repliers to use
50% blind you to the fact that the other 50% (or slightly more by my
counting) are vehemently opposed to any default action that results in
their receiving duplicate copies.

That is the problem we are discussing. It is evidently a real problem that
therefore needs to be fixed. You do not fix it by assuming that what
slightly more than 50% of people want is "exceptional".

Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave,
CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.