Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-17 10:41:07

Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:

Okay, I get that.  What I don't buy is the assertion that "the only
reason people use Reply-to-All" is that they want replies to go to the
list at least.  I find Reply-to-All useful in a much wider variety of
situations than that, and I also find that I get a lot of replies-to-all
in mail that isn't sent to any list.

I agree with Keith.  I use Reply-to-All as my default reply mechanism for
all e-mail messages, since I almost always want my reply to reach all of
the places the original message went.

(Where I don't agree with him is on Mail-Followup-To, which seems to me to
work just fine for private mail as well as for mailing list mail when
people use it.  I don't see any feasible solution to this problem that
doesn't require changing all of the UAs over time; even Bruce's solution
of replying to either From or Reply-To requires changing all the UAs to
add an option to reply to From, ignoring Reply-To, and to remove the
option to reply to Reply-To+To+Cc.)

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>