Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-11 15:03:25

Keith Moore wrote:

I can think of other ways to handle this at the MUA than trusting
to/cc/bcc fields - for instance: when you send a message to an address
your MUA knows is a list, have your MUA associate a priority with the
outgoing message-id.  Then when a message comes back that is a reply to
that message id, file it with the list mail.  Though this wouldn't treat
private replies differently from "wide" replies.

Which MUA? How is my home MUA used for reading responses supposed
to determine the "priority" of a message sent by my MUA at work?
Or, for that matter, even if I use multiple MUAs at the same
location?

None of this is perfect at suppressing duplicates, of course.  For that
matter, neither is mail-followup-to.

I do think we're going to see a lot more sophistication in future MUAs.
 It's fairly clear that we haven't scratched the surface yet.

I think you were on the right track earlier in suggesting that
suppression of duplicates should be done in the message store.
In fact Cyrus IMAP can be configured to do so.