Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-14 12:43:38

D. J. Bernstein wrote:

Specifically: A huge number of today's messages have a suboptimal
reply address in From, the desired reply address in Reply-To,

As suggested by Keith, and as discussed in my earlier message, the
proposal under discussion is [...]

I wasn't aware that there was any single proposal under discussion.  I'm
certainly not ready to settle on a single proposal.

And FWIW, I'm in agreement with the view that Reply-To is too messed up
to be salvaged.  Even though the current behavior is very sub-optimal,
it is still occasionally useful and there are a lot of people who expect
it to work the way it does now.