Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-17 22:39:39

Lilly now proposes three UA reply buttons:

   * ``narrow'' (From);
   * ``middle'' (Reply-To || From); and
   * ``wide'' (From + Reply-To + To + Cc, I think).

Now, which of these buttons am I supposed to press when I want to follow
up to a mailing list? I don't see an answer to this in Lilly's message.

If the answer is ``wide'': The followup includes too many addresses, as
Lilly admits, so it requires manual editing. In other words, this fails
to solve the most basic problems under discussion.

If the answer is ``middle'': For most of today's messages, the followup
is completely misdirected---the list is _not_ in Reply-To. Yes, the list
is in Reply-To in _some_ cases, but there are billions of exceptions.
This approach will be undeployable unless we first go through a massive
transition to get rid of the exceptions.

If the answer is ``narrow'': This is even worse. The followup is
completely misdirected for practically all of today's messages. Surely
this isn't Lilly's answer.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago