Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-20 09:15:33

No.  Several cases are valid for this list, and for most lists.  In
particular, it's often reasonable to send a message To this list,
it's often reasonable to send a message (or a reply) To an
individual and Cc this list, and it's sometimes reasonable to send a
message To another list and Cc this list.  [*]

Yes, that is what I said. But in most situations and on most lists the
list address should be in the To:.

you are simply incorrect.

Note that there's a subtle but useful difference between a reply that is
addressed To the author of the subject message with a CC to the list,
and a reply that is addressed To the list (with or without a CC to the
author).

Then please explain to me the subtlety that lead you to send the message I
am responding to To: me with Cc: the list.

I was responding to a message from you, and the principal purpose of my sending the message was to provide information to you. The list was copied because the information might also be useful to others on the list , and so that the list would be aware that I've responded (in particular, to avoid the common assumption that silence implies agreement or assent).

(not that I always take so much care in making sure to and cc are appropriately used - I get lazy too sometimes - but in this particular instance they were appropriately used.)

Keith