Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-21 09:35:27

Then please explain to me the subtlety that lead you to send the
message I am responding to To: me with Cc: the list.

I was responding to a message from you, and the principal purpose of my
sending the message was to provide information to you.

Well that was not the way I saw it.

Perhaps it has not occurred to you that your opinions are rather, uh,
distant from those of most other participants.  There's nothing
inherently wrong with that, but it does mean that when someone responds
to a message from you, they may be responding specifically to opinions
that you have expressed, rather than to the list in general.

I was under the impression that we
were both partaking in a discussion on this list with a view to finding
the best tools to be provided, either by standardized headers or best
practice for features in MTAs, to resolve what most here seem to agree is
a problem in need of resolution.

In that situation, I would expect most contributions to the discussion to
be directed To: the list with Cc: the original author in those cases where
that author needed a personal copy.

At least for messages that I send, your expectations are incorrect.

Keith