Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-15 08:37:02

Claus Färber wrote:
Bruce Lilly <blilly(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> schrieb/wrote:

D. J. Bernstein wrote:

Let me emphasize that the goal---followups to ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org and
replies to djb(_at_)cr(_dot_)yp(_dot_)to---is _not_ achieved by the old
protocol ``reply
to Reply-To||From; follow up to To+Cc+(Reply-To||From).''

But Reply-To: ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org / From:
djb(_at_)cr(_dot_)yp(_dot_)to does work for
From). Without changing semantics of any fields. Without adding new
fields.  Without expecting UAs to pay attention to an undefined field.
And which works with existing UAs.

No, it does not work with existing UAs.

It works fine with at least pine and Kmail using explicitly
provided response functions. Probably others. A respondent who
wishes to respond to the From field mailbox(es) can easily do
so w/o a specific command or button in at least Netscape/Mozilla,
Ximian Evolution, and Microsoft Outlook; probably many others.
N.B. these are not obscure UAs; they are widely used.

Further, it does not allow something like this:

| From: jdoe(_at_)example(_dot_)com
| To: product-announce(_at_)list(_dot_)example(_dot_)com,
product-discuss(_at_)list(_dot_)example(_dot_)com

"No, it does not work with existing UAs." Most UAs ignore illegal
fields such as "Mail-Followup-To".  Such UAs that follow established
standard response protocols would send a "narrow" reply to
info(_at_)example(_dot_)com and their "broad" reply to all addresses in the
standard address fields.  "Mail-Followup-To" is an illegal field
and is therefore ignored by mail protocols.

And the following achieves what I believe you intended using only
standard header fields, with (as discussed) the From field for
narrow responses, Reply-To for default responses, and a user-edited
selection from all addresses for a wide response:

From: info(_at_)example(_dot_)com
Sender: jdoe(_at_)example(_dot_)com
To: product-announce(_at_)list(_dot_)example(_dot_)com,
product-discuss(_at_)list(_dot_)example(_dot_)com