Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-24 10:48:30

Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:

False. Example: Mutt is a widely used MUA that honors Mail-Followup-To.

Bruce was correct.  Mutt's deployment relative to other UAs is
insignificant.

I really think both you and Bruce are off-target where it matters here.
The vast majority of users, the people who are highly unlikely to be using
something other than Outlook or AOL's mail client and are just mailing
back and forth with people at work or family or friends, are also rarely
in situations where anything that we're discussing even matters to them.

If you look at the primary audience for this sort of feature, namely
fairly sophisticated mail users who are on a lot of mailing lists, mutt is
*extremely* common.  If you're trying to come up with something that would
be useful for the average Outlook user, I think you're wasting your time;
they don't use e-mail in a fashion as to make any of this relevant to
them.

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>