Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-22 06:34:35

There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but it does mean that when
someone responds to a message from you, they may be responding
specifically to opinions that you have expressed, rather than to the
list in general.

I'm afraid I just don't get that at all. When I respond to a list, sure,
I'm responding to a particular posting, but I see it as part of the
general discussion, just as if I stood up in a meeting and said my
piece.

I don't think it's reasonable to assume that most of the time a list is a recipient of a message, that the message is intended primarily for the list. I've seen too many cases to the contrary. Lists come in all sizes and exist for a wide variety of purposes. Not all lists are used as virtual meeting rooms.

Keith