Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-22 06:42:11

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Keith Moore wrote:

Another difference: a USENET discussion inherently takes place within
the context of one or more newsgroups, whereas a message in an email
discussion that is mostly taking place outside the context of any list
might cc a list that only has a peripheral interest in the discussion
- because people on the list need to know.

With respect, this is getting very fanciful. How often is that likely to
happen? (And surely you'd Bcc the list in that circumstance, anyway?)
Are we in danger of not doing anything because we can't do everything?

I think I see a categorization here that perhaps is being overlooked, at
least by me (and I apologize for that):

Two Kinds Of List

(1) A discussion list, like this one.

(2) A list that just a handy way of addressing a group of people, for
    instance the list of all the staff in my department. This kind of
    list has limited and controlled membership.

I can just about imagine a situation where somebody wanted to cc
a message to all our staff, but I can more likely imagine it being a
forward rather than a (b)cc.

My comments have all been in the context of a discussion list.

Philip

ph10(_at_)cus(_dot_)cam(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44
1223 334714.