Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-23 01:33:25

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Keith Moore wrote:

In the sense that the responder _realizes_ he's not sending a copy to
the author of the original message, no.  Because use of MFT for the
case where the author doesn't want to see the reply is indistinguishable
from the use of MFT where the author is subscribed to the list.

When I'm responding on a discussion list like this one, I don't think I
need to know. Life is too short. If the author has cut herself out of
the responses, that is her responsibility.

In practice, of course, it is likely that the original posting would
include text along the lines of "I'm not subscribed to this list and I
don't want to see the discussion, thanks." In all these edge cases
the solution is to add clarifying words to the message if you think
clarification is needed.

ph10(_at_)cus(_dot_)cam(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44
1223 334714.