Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-23 05:42:40

In the sense that the responder _realizes_ he's not sending a copy to
the author of the original message, no.  Because use of MFT for the
case where the author doesn't want to see the reply is indistinguishable
from the use of MFT where the author is subscribed to the list.

When I'm responding on a discussion list like this one, I don't think I
need to know. Life is too short. If the author has cut herself out of
the responses, that is her responsibility.

Perhaps. I'd certainly agree that if an author has cut herself out of a response, one should in most cases honor that request.

However I think the responder does want to know this, for several reasons. The simplest and most obvious is that a response may serve multiple purposes depending on who reads it. As I write this message I'm thinking that the audience consists of both you and the list. If I knew you weren't going to receive the response I wouldn't bother addressing concerns that only you seem to have, and I probably wouldn't bother trying to argue things in detail that others on the list seem to accept without detailed support.

Keith