Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-24 10:11:50

If some member of the list hit his "Reply-to-List" button (expecting it to
go to the list) it would go to the author plus the secretary, because the
author's clearly expressed intent was that it should not go to the list.

NO.  if the recipient said "reply to list" the reply goes to the list.
if the recipient's MUA wants to point out that the author requested that
replies not go to the list, and give the recipient a chance to change
his mind about where the reply should go, that's fine.

It is absolutely unacceptable for _anyone_ (the author of an original
message, or a list, or the recipient's MUA) to override the recipient's
preference about where a reply goes.

If the list member did not have a "Reply-to-List" button, then he would
hit "Reply-to-All", which is the next best thing, and I think we have been
assuming that "Reply-to-All" would follow the MFT if no RTL button was
available

Again, if the recipient says "reply to all", then _all_ is where the
reply should go.  MFT is advisory at best.

(but this shows that such a third button is really needed).

that's not at all clear.

Keith