Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-29 07:25:17

I think it would be better if no "logic" were needed. The decision of who to reply to belongs to the person composing the reply. For the UA to make it easy for that person to "fill in the blanks" is reasonable. For the UA to try to employ "logic" to _decide_ (or equivalently, _guess_) where the message should go is not reasonable.

How about calling it "suggest" rather than "decide" or "guess"?

When I do "reply-to-all" (as my fingers are now trained to do) in my MUA, it creates To: and Cc: fields according to its current "logic". These fields are displayed when I construct the reply. They can be seen as a _suggestion_ that those are probably the addresses I want to use. And they often are. However, I have the opportunity to modify them before sending the message. Surely this is what everybody wants?

MUAs vary according to how easy it is to modify those recipient addresses, and how much information is given to recipients to allow them to make reasonable choices about those recipient addresses. In every Windows and MacOSX based MUA that I have seen, (and most of the *x ones) and with typical screen sizes, it is cumbersome to view all relevant fields of the subject message while composing the reply, and very cumbersome to override the decision/guess/suggestion made by the MUA. Copying and pasting addresses from the subject message typically involves a fair amount of clicking (to select/raise windows, which typically buries the other window you're interested in), clicking again (to select addresses or text), and either dragging or "copy" and "paste" key presses. If you can type, transcribing the addresses is actually easier, but it's error prone.

So no, I don't think this is what "everybody" wants. I think it's what "everybody" is accustomed to.

What we are arguing about is a way of making it possible for MUAs to improve their suggestions.

"improving the suggestions" may be the wrong tack. I don't want MUAs to be more clever as much as I want them to be more transparent.

In particular, people want more information about the wishes of original message's author with regard to replies to be available to the MUA. (Reply-to: might once have been intended for this, but it has been used in the wrong way, so we have to try again.)

And (at least in principle) I agree that giving authors a better way to convey such information to recipients might be useful, and I agree with giving this information to recipients, and I even agree with making it easy for recipients to honor that request. What I don't agree with is the notion that honoring such requests should happen "by default", i.e. without the recipient being aware of it and choosing it explicitly.

My MUA has only a "reply-to-all"; there is no "reply-to-list". I therefore have to remember to delete Dan's address whenever I reply to one of his messages and NOT to delete Keith's address whenever I reply to one of his. I am in danger of annoying both of them if I get it wrong. My MUA has suggested that this message be copied to Russ because he was involved somewhere back in the thread and his address has been carried along in OPs' replies; I have no idea if he wants an individual copy or not.

Lists are "interesting" for lots of reasons. I'm starting to see that different people view lists in different ways - or that they project different sets of social conventions onto the same simple multicast mechanism. Sometimes a particular list has established conventions of its own, at other times people implicitly or explicitly believe that a list "should" adhere to certain social conventions that they've observed elsewhere - often in meatspace. When different individuals on a list have conflicting ideas as to what behavior is appropriate, we're not going to solve that problem with adding new fields to the email protocol. (We _might_ solve the problem by explicitly establishing social conventions on a per-list basis, and extending the email protocol to communicate those conventions to list participants - but the main thing is to address the underlying conflict between people's expectations. The mechanism is secondary.)

Because email was not designed for group discussion but as an interpersonal communication tool, it doesn't help its participants adhere to the social conventions of any particular group (even if those are established). Actually it helps participants violate those conventions. Traditionally, with a meatspace meeting room, you were either inside the room (and participating in the meeting) or you were not. Along with the isolation (and privilege) inherent in the physical arrangement was often some expectation of focus among participants. Including someone outside the room in a discussion that was going on inside the room was generally infeasible without special arrangements. But with email, lists are just multicast addresses, so discussions routinely involve participants that might not be on the list. And being "on" a list is not like being "in" a meeting room (in the days before laptops and WiFi) - for instance you can be "on" a list while still having far greater demands on your attention that aren't visible to other list participants.

The duplicate copies issue is separate. It's understandable that people do not want to see duplicate copies of messages. It's also understandable that different people want different filing arrangements for their messages. But message authors (and reply authors) shouldn't be expected to cater to every recipient's whims about duplicate copies and filing arrangements. The right thing is for the author of a message (or reply) is to specify _who_ should get the message (where _who_ includes lists and/or individuals). Duplicate suppression and filing of messages should be sorted out by software that acts on behalf of each recipient, according to that recipient's preferences. Letting the author provide hints about _who_ to reply to might be useful for other reasons, but expecting recipients to recognize and accommodate senders' preferences about duplicates and filing cannot scale.

Keith