Re: reply etiquette

2004-09-29 07:10:12

At 14:16 29/09/2004, Keith Moore wrote:

 It is inexcusably rude to reply to someone's message without
 sending the reply to the person who sent the message.  You
 have done that with several of my messages.  I demand an
 apology.

I am rather confused by this posting.

Can anyone explain it to me?

it's very simple. if you reply in a public forum to a message that someone sent, it's common courtesy to send the author of the original message a copy of the reply.

It's NOT 'common courtesy' - it's what YOU prefer. Don't assume your preferences are they way everyone should work!

In many mailing lists that I'm on, people have expressed the preference NOT to receive multiple copies of replies, and it's common practice to trim the To and Cc fields of replies to ensure they only go back to the list. If YOU prefer to receive duplicated emails, that's fine, but don't insult people because they are trying to be considerate and only send you one copy of their reply. People don't automatically know your preferences.

If you want people to send you lots of copies of their replies, put it in your signature or something, and accept mistakes. It's not 'rude' for people to try to be considerate - just because you prefer them not to be when they're replying to your messages doesn't mean that you have the right to 'demand an apology'.

I'll assume you were just having a bad day, otherwise your attack would have been "inexcusably rude" as well.
Paul                            VPOP3 - Internet Email Server/Gateway
support(_at_)pscs(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk                     http://www.pscs.co.uk/