Re: reply etiquette

2004-09-30 09:39:08

Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 05:14:45PM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:

Er, you wrote this: "it is presumptuous to assume ... that the recipient
reads the list traffic in the same way that he reads other traffic."

My point is that it is equally presumptious to assume the opposite.

Quite. Guessing tends to result in failed expectations.

I think it is clear that there are several netiquettes here, and it
seems like some people are very opiniated on this. I am administrating a
number of email lists, and just yesterday one participant left one list
because I do not employ reply-to headers for the list, and another
stopped working because receiving two copies of responses to his mail
was destroying his work happiness (it annoyed him tremendously).

I think the appropriate question is "what steps did those message
authors take to clearly indicate their desires?".

I think we need some guidance on how to handle lists. That is, some best
practice RFC or some RFC on which headers to employ and how.
This should include

1. various scenarios of email list usage:
closed, open with whitelist and moderator, open with moderator, open with
a news gateway, and more.  Different header use may apply to differnt usages.

Other than List-* fields, I'm not convinced that list-specific usage
would change (obviously, an authors indicated preference that responses
be directed to a (closed) list will affect any non-list recipients, but
that is specific to the recipient(s) rather than the list per se).

2. different scenarios of user behaviour and perferences,
some prefer to have two copies, some prefer to have just one copy.
Some may want to  sort it in folders, other have just one big inbox,
others have a separate inbox that they do not want list mail in.
We cannot do everything, but a number of common scenarios should be
investigated.

Filtering (into folders, etc.) pretty much has to be handled at or
near the receiving end, though an author can have some influence (e.g.
use of a local-part hack which aids filtering of responses). Clearly
presumptions on the part of authors in the absence of any clear
indication of preferences doesn't work; different authors have
different preferences, and in the absence of any indication of
author preference, respondents may make different guesses about
authors' preferences.  Therefore it is in everybody's interest for
an author to clearly and explicitly state his preferences.  That can
be done with standard message header fields, with no change to long-
established syntax or semantics, and without requiring any wholesale
modifications to UAs or MTAs.  I've gone through this analysis many
years ago (and nothing recent has changed the essential facts); I'll
examine these scenarios in detail below.

3. recommendations to MUA handling
which commands to offer in the MUA: sender-reply, group-reply,
reply to list, maybe reply to everybody except sender .

Tony had some suggestions about limiting the number of choices to
two or three; I think there ought to be at least two provided by an
MUA, viz. a "narrow" response to the original message author(s) and
a response to the original message author-indicated response
preference. Beyond those, some sort of catch-all which can be edited
to suit the respondent's purpose is probably useful, and I see no
reason (other than confusing the ignorant) why an MUA shouldn't
provide other options if its software author feels there is a need
(respond to Sender, respond to envelope sender mailbox, respond based
on List-* fields, respond to a preconfigured set of addresses, etc.).

Maybe a recommendation to MUAs on how to handle duplicate mail, maybe
they should only show one instance of it.

That should include security issues (e.g. if message-ids are used to
detect duplicates, and message-id sequences can be predicted, a
miscreant can hide legitimate traffic).

How folders may be handled
with the new functionality we propose.  There could be both
considerations for sending MUAs and receiving MUAs.

Probably getting too deep into user preferences, possibly based on
a model that is not universally supported by UAs and message stores.

4. recommendations for list exploders
Which headers to set for each different list type, maybe some per-user
settings of preferences.

That would depend on the model used for list expansion/explosion.
RFCs 821/2821 speak of Alias vs. List. There are also individual
message remailers vs. digests, etc.   A list expander that sends
individual messages should not alter message address fields; the
envelope sender address should be set to the list maintainer so
that automatic responses (non-delivery notices, etc.) go to the
list maintainer.

Back to how an author can indicate response preferences and how that
can assist respondents; I'll use shorthand rather than full mailbox or
address syntax -- it should be understood that all standard fields
conform to standard syntax unless explicitly noted otherwise:

Scenario 1:

As Nate Leon said:

On the contrary, I consider it careless if you copy me directly on your
reply to my posting, unless I explicitly request that you do so in the
posting.

Explicitly requesting copies: