RE: reply etiquette

2004-09-29 08:43:59

On the contrary, I consider it careless if you copy me directly on your
reply to my posting, unless I explicitly request that you do so in the
posting.  e.g. "Please copy me on any replies, as I do not read this
list regularly".

Regards,
Nate

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-822(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-822(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org]
On Behalf Of Keith Moore
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 6:17 AM
To: Dave Crocker
Cc: ietf-822 list
Subject: Re: reply etiquette

 It is inexcusably rude to reply to someone's message without
 sending the reply to the person who sent the message.  You
 have done that with several of my messages.  I demand an
 apology.

I am rather confused by this posting.

Can anyone explain it to me?

it's very simple.  if  you reply in a public forum to a message that
someone sent, it's common courtesy to send the author of the original
message a copy of the reply.

for a variety of reasons, merely sending the message to the public
forum is not sufficient, unless the author has explicitly indicated
that this is sufficient.