Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-29 08:44:27

What I don't agree with is the notion that honoring such requests should happen "by default", i.e. without the recipient being aware of it and choosing it explicitly.

I am quite happy with the idea of a configuration option for my MUA that says "enable MTF-handling" (for instance). I am even happy with the default being "disabled". My MUA already has an option "always honour Reply-to"; I suspect that if MFT were "standardised" or in some way "blessed" by the community, an option would be provided. But I really would like to have SOMETHING that is better than where we are now.

Me too. But what's clear to me is that we're in this mess largely because we've come to expect MUAs to "do the right thing" when it's really the reply author's job to specify what the right thing is. We can't fix the problem with additional header fields and additional automation in the recipient's MUA.

Now if recipients had suitable MUAs we could define ways by which senders could provide hints to recipients about what the senders think is the "right thing", and the MUAs could make it easy to comply with the sender's wish if the recipient chose to do so. But as soon as recipients' MUAs try to use those hints to automate decisions that need to be explicitly made by the recipient _on a per-message basis_ when composing a reply, we will have a worse mess than we have now.

Keith