Re: reply etiquette

2004-09-30 09:06:00

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Paul Smith wrote:

Both of your examples are OK, but to stop the other (more likely..) examples
you'd want to restrict people posting to the list by requiring them to
subscribe first

Oh, I entirely agree! I was just pointing out that there are some valid
examples in principle.

Also, in your examples, the person sending the message specifically did not
want the discussion about his message to go back to him - otherwise he'd
probably have subscribed.

Agreed again.

If I sent a message to a mailing list (with the same sort of nature as the
ietf-822 one), without subscribing first, I'd *expect* to have my email
bounced with a message telling me I couldn't send a message without
subscribing, and telling me how to subscribe if I wanted to.

The Exim list is like that, except that the message is moderated, and
allowed through if it is reasonable (and the sender is told what is
happening).

I'd be suspicious of people throwing in messages without wanting to know
about the ensuing discussion - they could be trolling, they could be giving
false information etc etc.

Agreed again.

Philip

ph10(_at_)cus(_dot_)cam(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44
1223 334714.