Re: reply etiquette

2004-09-30 08:30:14

At 13:26 30/09/2004, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

Paul Smith writes:
If the bug reports went to a distribution list of developers, then I'd expect the *developers* to know that in *that particular instance* they should send replies back to the original sender. A bug report list is NOT the same as a mailing list discussing email protocols, it's quite different.

Could you elaborate on the differences, particularly as regards reply-to, mail-followup-to, group replies etc?

The difference is 'cultural' rather than technical (as I tried to indicate by stressing that the developers would know what to do). If I was on a bug report mailing list which accepted messages from a non-member, I'd KNOW (or be expected to know) that messages reporting a new bug are likely to be from a non-member. So, I could act accordingly (eg Reply-To-All to send a message to the list and reporter, or Reply to send a message to the list only)

Paul                            VPOP3 - Internet Email Server/Gateway
support(_at_)pscs(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk                     http://www.pscs.co.uk/