Re: reply etiquette

2004-09-29 08:00:02

At 15:31 29/09/2004, Keith Moore wrote:

Which is exactly the opposite of what some other people consider to be common courtesy. Many people feel that common courtesy dictates that you SHOULD trim down the To/Cc recipients to just the list name.

here's the difference:

The courtesy I'm referring to is ensuring that the author of a message gets a copy of the reply, and ensuring that other participants in the discussion are aware that the author was sent a copy of the reply. The only way to do this reliably is to explicitly specify the author of the subject message as one of the reply recipients.

The courtesy other people see as common is in ridding a recipient of the need to see multiple copies of a message. That's a valid concern, but it is presumptuous to assume that a recipient is on the list, and that the recipient reads the list traffic in the same way that he reads other traffic.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that if someone sent a message to the list, that they are on the list!

I agree that the author of the message should get a reply - but given the reasonable assumption that if someone is participating in a discussion in a mailing list, they are probably receiving messages from the list, replying to the list alone should be sufficient. I DON'T agree that other participants in the discussion need to be made explicitly aware that the author was sent a copy of the reply - for the same reason; it is not unreasonable for them to assume that the original author is on the list, so a message to the list will get back to the original author.

As you may have seen from other responses to you, _your_ idea of 'common courtesy' isn't the same as quite a few other people, so flaming someone because they did what THEY saw as common courtesy is definitely not courteous. The PROPER way for you to express your opinion would have been along the lines of "I don't read mail to the list as quickly as mail sent directly to me, so I'd prefer it if you Cc'd your replies to me as well". Flaming was totally undeserved.

Paul                            VPOP3 - Internet Email Server/Gateway
support(_at_)pscs(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk                     http://www.pscs.co.uk/