Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-22 07:30:10

Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:

How often depends on the list and how its used.  But it's not
"fanciful".  For instance, when I was on IESG it was common to Cc a WG
mailing list on a communication that was actually directed to someone
else, say the IETF secretary.

But for such a message what would MFT say?

You really need two different ones.

For the copy that went to the
directed recipent (e.g. the IETF secretary) you want their "reply"
to come back to you, and perhaps not go with the FYI WG list?

But presumably the copy that goes to the WG list should have something
that directs replies to the list - and excludes the IETF secretary
who does not want to be bothered with the "discussion" that arises
on the list?

However if we had list header then WG members could "reply to list"
for their discussion, and IETF secretary would reply to sender (just you)
or reply to all (CCing the list)

 (And surely you'd Bcc the list in that circumstance, anyway?)

A person might do so, but not "surely".  Knowing that the list was
copied might be useful to the other recipients of the message.

Are we in danger of not doing anything because we can't do everything?

I don't think so.  I just don't want to see us discourage valuable uses
of lists.

Keith