Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-27 01:58:58

Nick Ing-Simmons writes:
Bruce Lilly <ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org> writes:
Not necessarily. Sometimes there are multiple list expansions.

So - if the name of the _list_ was in a header "reply to list" would go back to the machine hosting the list and be re-expanded.

It would have been swell to have had something like that from the start. But we didn't. As a retrofit, I don't think it's possible to improve much on RFC 2369/2919. Much software doesn't support them and some people think they suck, but isn't that always the case for such retrofits?

(Btw, I think what Bruce meant is that if a messages is sent via multiple lists, things tend to break down. One example I've seen recently: "To: ietf-imapext(_at_)imc(_dot_)org, lemonade(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org".)

Arnt