Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-28 02:59:50

In <200409251359(_dot_)01585(_dot_)blilly(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> Bruce Lilly
<blilly(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> writes:

On Thu September 23 2004 10:22, Charles Lindsey wrote:

Some intelligent use of Group syntax is what I have suggested. Getting
people to use such a convention might be hard, but publishing the
submission list address in the form
    LIST: <ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>;
might be a good way to start.

The display name is intended for display purposes and should not be used
as a magic token (said intended use would probably fail if encoded). It
also would not be useful in the presence of multiple lists.

I see nothing in RFC 2822 to indicate how that display-name is intended to
be used. Clearly it is useful to display it for the edification of users
(and that is actually all that is needed in this case to indicate to users
which of the various mailboxes in evidence is/are lists and which are
humans). But there is nothing to preclude MUAs from using that information
for any purpose, and there is no reason why the convention of using it
should not be enshrined in some future standard or BCP.

As to multiple lists, what is the problem? Either the To: field contains
several such LIST groups, or it contains a single LIST group with all the
lists inside it.

Just as an experiment, I have configured my system to do that. Let us see
how well it propagates.

It doesn't. In MUAs with a reply-to-list function, which some MUAs have
and which some participants have suggested, your display name is
completely ignored.

It will (currently) be ignored as regards where the reply goes to, but it
will not be ignored as regards what goes into the To: (and/or Cc:) of the
reply. I have set the Reply-To of this message in that style, and I would
be surprised if it does not appear in the To: of any reply that you make
to it.

Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave,
CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.