Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-25 13:11:30

On Thu September 23 2004 10:22, Charles Lindsey wrote:

In <20040922141739(_dot_)7287(_dot_)5(_at_)llama(_dot_)elixent(_dot_)com>
Nick Ing-Simmons <nick(_at_)ing-simmons(_dot_)net> writes:

To this end MFT is a useful addition to the available information,
but getting concensus on how you identify the mailing list in
the To Cc forest is probably more useful.

Some intelligent use of Group syntax is what I have suggested. Getting
people to use such a convention might be hard, but publishing the
submission list address in the form
    LIST: <ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>;
might be a good way to start.

The display name is intended for display purposes and should not be used
as a magic token (said intended use would probably fail if encoded). It
also would not be useful in the presence of multiple lists.

Just as an experiment, I have configured my system to do that. Let us see
how well it propagates.

It doesn't. In MUAs with a reply-to-list function, which some MUAs have
and which some participants have suggested, your display name is
completely ignored.  Neither reply-to-author nor a middle repsonse would
use it.  A broad response could be edited by the user (indeed, in the case
of your message it would *require* hand-editing due to the Newsgroups
field pointing to a nonexistent newsgroup), so could easily be eliminated.