Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-28 04:12:28

In <HCd1Bbhll7NhlEKXhiARtg(_dot_)md5(_at_)prosecco(_dot_)oryx(_dot_)com> Arnt
Gulbrandsen <arnt(_at_)gulbrandsen(_dot_)priv(_dot_)no> writes:

(Btw, I think what Bruce meant is that if a messages is sent via
multiple lists, things tend to break down. One example I've seen
recently: "To: ietf-imapext(_at_)imc(_dot_)org, lemonade(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org".)

It is unlikely that list-expanders will be able to recognise crossposts to
other lists. It is even less likely that recipient MUAs will be able to do
so on their own.

The only place where it is known that a crosspost is occurring is at the
original sender. Therefore, any information to inform subsequent agents
that crossposting is afoot HAS to be placed in the message by the original
sender.

The MFT proposal at least provides a possibility for the original sender
to specify such information. Persuading senders to take advantage of the
facility (or persuading MUA implementors to provide tools to do so) may be
difficult, but that is likely to be true of ANY solution to the
crossposting issue.

Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave,
CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.