Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-22 01:50:12

Philip Hazel writes:
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Keith Moore wrote:

Many assumptions that are reasonable in USENET are less reasonable in email. For instance, it's meaningless to talk about USENET discussions that don't involve any newsgroups, but it's perfectly reasonable to have email discussions that don't involve mailing lists.

True, but I thought we were discussing a problem that arises when a mailing list *is* used for a discussion. In that situation, it does become more like USENET, and users have similar expectations of the two.

Some users do. Not all.

Some people want mail to behave like mail, whether a list is involved or not. Others want mailing lists to behave like usenet. To/Cc details are just consequences of that basic difference. AFAICT, Keith seems to argue that To/Cc should be set in a way suitable for the former desire, Charles the latter.

I'm afraid I can't suggest a response protocol that caters to both expectations.

Arnt