Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-20 03:02:46

In <20040917125538(_dot_)7785c5e7(_dot_)moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:

No.  Several cases are valid for this list, and for most lists.  In
particular, it's often reasonable to send a message To this list,
it's often reasonable to send a message (or a reply) To an
individual and Cc this list, and it's sometimes reasonable to send a
message To another list and Cc this list.  [*]

Yes, that is what I said. But in most situations and on most lists the
list address should be in the To:.

Note that there's a subtle but useful difference between a reply that is
addressed To the author of the subject message with a CC to the list,
and a reply that is addressed To the list (with or without a CC to the
author).

Then please explain to me the subtlety that lead you to send the message I
am responding to To: me with Cc: the list. Indeed all your responses to me
are in that form, yet I note that you respond to some other people with
To: the list (maybe those are the ones who have set Reply-To).

In my collection of unexpired message from this list, I find
   158 messages with To: ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org, and
   130 messages with Cc: ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org

I suspect that is more due to habit than to any subtle variation of
intent. But the effect is that using Reply-To to respond to the list just
will not work, and using Reply-to-All works, but sends duplicates which
are unwanted by most of us. I have no reason to suppose that this behavour
is untypical of lists in general.

I also find
   68 messages with Reply-To: ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
and, not unsurprisingly
   68 messages with From: Bruce Lilly

Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave,
CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.